Question on log messages.

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jan 16 22:16:48 UTC 2002

> Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> wrote in message news:<a22b16$3mc at pub3.rc
> .vix.com>...
> > You turned on tracing in the DNS server, with "ndc trace".  They're the
> > debugging messages you asked for.  See the chapter "Reading BIND Debugging
> > Output".

	If you want to understand the debug messages go to the source.

> For Message #1:
>
> I checked out this chapter and it appears that the issue has to do
> with user queries coming from another DNS server. Because of this
> line,
>
> 15-Jan-2002 10:30:52.698 default: debug 2: resp: error (ret 2, op 0),
> dropped

	The remote server returned SERVFAIL.

> it looks to me that the user query has some sort of error, but I'm not
> sure what this error is. Should I move the debugging level up to 4 or
> 5 to be able to find more details about the problem?
>
> For Message #2:
>
> It looks like the error is indicating that a duplicate query was
> dropped. Are duplicate queries a common occurrence?

	Yes.  However it does mean that a server was slow in answering
	a query.  When quering a forwarder this is much more likely as
	it has to compete the resolution process.

> How can I reduce the number of duplicate queries issued?

	You don't want to do this as this is the mechanism to deal
	with UDP drops, servers being dead etc. without excessively
	long (many minutes) timeouts.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org