netsaint, www.yahoo.com, and akadns.net

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Tue Jan 22 00:43:51 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:04:53PM -0800, Hugh Jass wrote:

> Hello, I run netsaint which is a network monitoring utility that
> monitors about 6 of my name servers.  Netsaint checks the name servers
> about every 5 minutes trying to resolve www.yahoo.com and about once a
> day it reports dns to be down.  But I've checked the name servers that
> are reported down and found that it's only www.yahoo.com that it can't
> resolve.  I get the error message: "Non-existent host/domain" and I've
> run dig on the affected name server with the output below.  My
> question is, can this be fixed?

Since you're asking for a RR that is a CNAME to a domain name served by
Akamai's nameservers, you're likely finding a bug in Akamai's DNS
implementation, not BIND (Akamai has their own DNS software).

One of the first things I wondered is if yahoo might be getting bitten
by the BIND credibility bug, but the NS records in yahoo.com match the
delegation from the gTLD servers. There also isn't a long string of
glueless delegations, which causes hell with any DNS implementation -
though I don't know how far BIND will follow glueless delegations.

If I were you, I'd setup an extra check against some Akamai DNS servers
and ask them for www.yahoo.akadns.net. If you get failures there too,
then you know where the problem is.

Hope that helps, Huge Ass, I mean "Hugh Jass." Something tells me that
the name on your birth certificate does not match the name in your
"From:" header ;)
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off
the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the
Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in
rain. Time to die.                          -- Roy Batty, Blade Runner