Internal AND External DNS client config?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 3 22:43:47 UTC 2002

joseph85750 at yahoo.com wrote:

> I have BIND 9.1.3 on a RedHat Linux 7.1 serving my internal LAN.
>
> Is it possible to configure my internal DNS such that if an external
> DNS lookup (Internet) is sent to the internal DNS, the internal DNS
> will forward the lookup to the external DNS?  I've read of something
> using 'forwarders', but can't get the syntax correct.
>
> What would be an example of configuration(s) for the internal DNS
> server to permit this?

options {
         forward only;
         forwarders { 1.2.3.4; 2.3.4.5; };

Whenever possible, you should have multiple forwarders, for redundancy.

Note that when you use "global" forwarding like this ("global", as
opposed to "per-domain" forwarding), you don't need a "hint" file
definition: named will use the forwarders instead of the "hints" to get
root-zone data when it starts up.

Note also that this forwarding will only work for names outside of your
authoritative zones. If your internal nameserver is authoritative for a
zone, it will answer any query of a name in the zone
*without* forwarding, since it believes that it knows everything there
is to know about the zone.