Avoiding BGP with DNS?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 14 20:43:54 UTC 2002

Torgeir Fauskanger wrote:

> But.. Is it possible to do this for the web-servers as well? Will multiple A
> records work? Will hosts out there try the second record if they time out on
> the first?

Have a look in the archive, this is asked occaisonally, despite
being off topic ;)

I recall some browsers will, and probably more or all should.

There are DNS based load balancing solutions for this scenario,
multiple links but no BGP, both free software, and in a "black
box".

Radware Linkproof is the one my suppliers keep telling me I
should sell people, none of the black boxes I've seen are cheap,
and most people needing this level of redundancy want two of
them of course.