limit to number of zone-files

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Jun 17 09:15:24 UTC 2002

bind at i-p-d.nl wrote:

> Hi,

> Lately I have been experiencing problems with one of our
> nameservers. On the console one time I catched some messages
> about something "truncated" (sorry I don't have the exact message)
> and it is swapping like crazy untill it becomes unresponsive. This
> usually happens around 7.00 GMT. Rebooting the nameserver
> helps, but isn't my idea of a fix :)

How is the memory status ? Do you have enough memory to avoid
swapping ? Is there another application running in the same machine ?

Is this nameservers resolving Internet Names for clients or is
it an "authorative-only" server for those 1030 zones ?

> setup is FreeBSD 4.6-RC, bind  8.3.2-T1B. There are about 1030
> zonefiles.

> Could this have anything to do with the " limit files set to fdlimit
> (1024) "-message I have been getting since upgrading to 8.3.x?

> Anybody know how I can get the console-messages into a log? At
> the moment, I don't have immediate access to the console.

You should already have them in a log. See /etc/syslog.conf for
exact location.  Default in freebsd is /var/log/messages

--
Peter Håkanson