Cannot register BIND server to domain name registrar, HELP! (desperate, newbie, etc.)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 18 00:15:29 UTC 2002

HYK_TremorZ at hotmail.com wrote:

> Ok, this is going to be complicated so lemme elaborate some stuff
> first:
>
> 1. The domain in question is chaotech.net.  I purchased it from the
> registrar namecheap.com
> 2. I have two other domain names pointed to the machine,
> lucky.cs.uml.edu and phokus.darktech.org.  lucky.cs.uml.edu was
> already bound to the IP address i think.  I registered
> phokus.darktech.org with a free dns service.
> 3. The DNS server is located at a machine owned by my boss.  The IP
> number is 129.63.24.90 at the University of Massachusetts Lowell at a
> computer
> lab.
> 3. I'm using BIND 9 on a Mandrake Linux 8.2 install.
> 4. As far as i know, the ports that are needed (i'm guessing only
> port 53 needs to be open) seem to be open.  I used the nmap port
> scanner to test
> it out, and i had someone from outside our domain test it out.
> 5. I have already registered a primary dns server using the free dns
> service granitecanyon.com with my domain name registrar namecheap.com.
> However, i want it so that after i get all this problem fixed, i want
> to use
> chaotech.net as my primary server and change the granitecanyon dns
> server from a
> primary to slave (that pulls the dns information from the chaotech
> server).
> 6. What i want to be able to do is add subdomains pointing to apache
> virtual host subdomains on the fly (i.e. phokus.chaotech.net,
> ivan.chaotech.net, etc.)
>  Dunno if this is important information or not.
> 7.  The problem is, i cannot register the chaotech.net dns server
> with my registrar.  I get the error message: "There is some problem
> updating
> the NameServers The problem is: chaotech.net could not be registered.
> Please contact the registrar."
>
>  I've also tried registering the name servers lucky.cs.uml.edu and
>  phokus.darktech.org (both pointing to the same IP address as
> chaotech.net), but
>  it gives me the same error message.
>
> 8.  I've already used nslint to check for errors.  The only error it
> gives me is about the ns1.granitecanyon.com NS record and how i don't
> have an A
> record for it.  Someone told me i don't need one since this host is
> not in my
> zone and isn't going to be my primary dns server.  I don't think this
> is the
> problem anyway.
>
> Ok, these are my configuration files.  The named.config file is in
> /etc/ while the zone files are in /var/named/ I'm not going to post
> the root name server file obviously (but trust me, it works, i can use
> the named server for resolving to the outside world)
>
> ****************/etc/named.conf***************
>
> // Boot file for chaotech.net name server
>
> options {
>         directory "/var/named";
> [...]

I can't seem to get any response whatsoever out of lucky.cs.uml.edu; not
even for its own name.

By the way, "localhost." is a root-zone name, so it doesn't belong in the
chaotech.net zone. If you want named to interpret that name as
"localhost.chaotech.net", then either fully-qualify it as such,
terminated with a dot, or leave off the trailing dot completely.

LATE UPDATE: the delegations for chaotech.net now include
"ns.chaotech.net", but there appears to be no A record associated with
that name. Are you making changes _right_now_?