non-domain entries

Bruce Embrey embrey at hood.edu
Thu Jun 20 18:29:56 UTC 2002

Hi:

Is it possible to have a DNS entry that references one of our ip addresses
but a host name for another domain? The machine is physically located in
our domain. Here is an example and it would be placed just below SOA but
above the $ ORIGIN ourdomain.edu section:

machine.other.edu               IN      A       144.175.2.16

The reason is we will be assigning one of our ip addresses to a virtual web
server. The virtual web server will have a hostname of machine.other.edu.

Will this work or is there a better way to accomodate this situation.

Bruce Embrey

Bruce Edward Embrey : OpenVMS/Linux Systems Manager / Campus Email Admin. :
Hood College: embrey at hood.edu : Phone (301)696-3927 : Fax (301)696-3913