Named process stop working

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jun 25 22:07:49 UTC 2002

> Friends,
>
> I am having some problems with my DNS server. I have 2 servers (master
> and slave)and in a period of 2 hours (e.g. 2:00a.m, 4:00a.m, 6:00a.m
> and so on), during about 9 minutes, the process named of the slave
> server stop to answer questions. I had tried to run a "dig" or
> "nslookup" and doesn't work. I have already looked in my db* files to
> see if there is some TTL's or conversation beetwen slaves with this
> time (2 hours) in my configuration, but there isn't anything.
> The only thing that I noticed is that the memory is bad. I have only
> 512Mb in this server and the process named is using 450Mb and there is
> only 7Mb free, but I don't know if lack of memory can generate this
> problem.
>
> I can't figure out what is happening and why the process is stopping
> answering questions...
>
> Does someone have any idea what is happenning?
>
> Any idea are very welcome....
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Ana Paula.

	I would say that machine is under resourced for the load
	you are putting on it.

	Now you havn't told us what version of named you are running.
	What OS this is on.
	Whether it is a authoritative server, caching server or both.
	You also havn't said what the working set size of the process
	is (ps will tell you this).

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org