Strange issue

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jun 25 22:22:03 UTC 2002

> > Sorry I misread the first post. The problem is that
> > www.essentialserver.com is registered as a nameserver. The
> > GTLD servers are answering queries for that hostname.
>
> > www.essentialserver.com. 172800 IN      A       207.219.3.100
> > essentialserver.com.    172800  IN      NS      NS1.MERLINSOFTECH.com.
> > essentialserver.com.    172800  IN      NS      NS2.MERLINSOFTECH.com.
> > ;; Received 139 bytes from 192.5.6.30#53(A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET) in 82 ms
>

> Thank you.  That explains it, certainly.  However... At
> DotRegistrar.com, their record makes no mention of that entry, which is
> why I couldn't find it.  The nameserver entries say:
>
>    <snip>
>
>    Domain Name: ESSENTIALSERVER.COM
>
>    <snip>
>
>    Domain servers in listed order:
>
>    ns1.merlinsoftech.com 66.38.133.114
>    ns2.merlinsoftech.com 66.38.133.114
>
> So it was very confusing as to where that was coming from.  NOW, the
> question is... How do I get rid of that nameserver entry?  I will
> contact them and NetSol to try and get this cleared up.
>
> I have learned a new command:  dig +trace
>
> Thank you Nate.  And thanks to everyone on the list.  You have saved my
> sanity.

	You contact dotregistrar.com.  Host records are mananged through
	the register for the enclosing zone.  Whois would have told you
	this.

	Mark

drugs:ds 08:15 {1660} % whois www.ESSENTIALSERVER.COM

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Server Name: WWW.ESSENTIALSERVER.COM
   IP Address: 207.219.3.100
   Registrar: IHOLDINGS.COM, INC. D/B/A DOTREGISTRAR.COM
   Whois Server: whois.dotregistrar.com
   Referral URL: http://www.dotregistrar.com

>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 04:56:53 EDT <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org