Can I turn off lame delegation checks in BIND 9?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Mar 3 00:18:23 UTC 2002

At 07:26 PM 3/1/02, M. E. wrote:

>I can appreciate what you are saying - but trust me - I KNOW they will never
>be lame. These are all domains on an internal, cahcing only nameserver that
>will never be resolving external domains.
>
>I am fully aware of the perils inherrent in turning off error checks - but
>in this (special) case I require it.

I am puzzled by your insistence in turning off lame checking, but if I accept
your word for it, what performance increase do you expect to see? Since there
are no options currently included to turn off this checking, it means that you
would have to hire a programmer (assuming that you are not one yourself) to
go into the code and look to see how to turn it off. The work involved
would need
to be redone for each release of BIND that you want to install since I don't
think any of the BIND developers or ISC think that this is a good idea.
Have you
thought through the costs involved in doing this and balanced it against the
benefit you expect to receive?  Those cost could be spent buying faster
hardware,
more memory, bigger swapping disk space and faster connectivity and it
would cost you much less money, not to mention the maintenance nightmare
and costs that you, or rather your company, would have to bear.

Faster hardware would gain you much more that you would save by turning off
lame checking. Also note that if you have a caching-only nameserver you will
never be doing zone transfers which contradicts what you say about it being
a slave namserver in a previous message.

         Danny