Registering DNS Hosts

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Mar 7 15:30:11 UTC 2002

In article <a6764n$jna at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Fred Viles <fv+abuse at nospam.epitools.com> wrote:
>WebReactor Networks <bind at webreactor.net> wrote in
><a66bnk$ggs at pub3.rc.vix.com>:

>>I have a domain registered with OpenSRS, and a friend of mine had
>>one there as well.  We wanted to rename his host (name server)
>>from ns1.hisdomain.tld to ns2.mydomain.tld.  Since he has no
>>authority over mydomain.tld he could not rename his host to be
>>within my domain, even though both domains were registered with
>>the same registrar (OpenSRS).  Since I have no authority over
>>hisdomain.tld, I could not change his host record.  Solution?  We
>>have to transfer one of our domains to the other person so that
>>both domains are owned by the same authority (registrant), rename
>>his host, and transfer the domain back.
>
>This makes no sense.  AFAIK there is no such thing as "renaming" a
>host record.  You create the ns2.mydomain.tld host record, and he
>deletes the ns1.hisdomain.tld record.  If you want ns2.mydomain.tld
>to have the same IP address as ns1.hisdomain.tld had, the deletion
>must happen first.

But you're not allowed to delete a host record if it's still being
referenced by a domain record.  Without a rename operation, he would have
to do:

* Modify all the domains to remove ns1.hisdomain.tld
  If the domain only lists two servers, this might be difficult if the
  registrar requires at least two.
* Delete ns1.hisdomain.tld
* Create ns2.mydomain.tld
* Modify all the domains to add ns2.hisdomain.tld

I'm pretty sure most registrars provide a rename operation so you don't
have to go through this roundabout process.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA