Registering DNS Hosts

WebReactor Networks bind at webreactor.net
Thu Mar 7 16:51:11 UTC 2002

>>> I have a domain registered with OpenSRS, and a friend of mine had
>>> one there as well.  We wanted to rename his host (name server)
>>> from ns1.hisdomain.tld to ns2.mydomain.tld.  Since he has no
>>> authority over mydomain.tld he could not rename his host to be
>>> within my domain, even though both domains were registered with
>>> the same registrar (OpenSRS).  Since I have no authority over
>>> hisdomain.tld, I could not change his host record.  Solution?  We
>>> have to transfer one of our domains to the other person so that
>>> both domains are owned by the same authority (registrant), rename
>>> his host, and transfer the domain back.
>>
>> This makes no sense.  AFAIK there is no such thing as "renaming" a
>> host record.  You create the ns2.mydomain.tld host record, and he
>> deletes the ns1.hisdomain.tld record.  If you want ns2.mydomain.tld
>> to have the same IP address as ns1.hisdomain.tld had, the deletion
>> must happen first.
>
> But you're not allowed to delete a host record if it's still being
> referenced by a domain record.  Without a rename operation, he would have
> to do:
>
> * Modify all the domains to remove ns1.hisdomain.tld
> If the domain only lists two servers, this might be difficult if the
> registrar requires at least two.
> * Delete ns1.hisdomain.tld
> * Create ns2.mydomain.tld
> * Modify all the domains to add ns2.hisdomain.tld
>
> I'm pretty sure most registrars provide a rename operation so you don't
> have to go through this roundabout process.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net

I believe Barry is correct, though I haven't tried deleting a host record
while it is in use, so I can't be sure.

I don't know if all registrars support "renaming" a name server, but OpenSRS
does.  The host name or IP address of a name server can be changed.  I know
because I've done it.

And yes, an IP address can only be used by one name server.  I've tried
adding a host record with the same IP address as an existing one and the
registrar rejects it.  I've heard that this will change relatively soon, but
I'll believe it when I see it.

What is interesting is that, even though the registrar requires each name
server to have a unique name and IP address, the old name persist in the NS
records for domains in *some* ccTLD servers (but *not* gTLD servers) after
renaming.

  - John R. S.