Zone Update

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Mon Mar 18 15:46:18 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 02:58:46AM +0100, J. Kahn wrote:
> Could someone explain to me why I get errors like those below in my log file
> for named?
>
> unapproved update from [ip.ip.ip.ip].1193

Q: I keep getting log messages like the following.  Why?

   Jun 21 12:00:00.000 client 10.0.0.1#1234: update denied

A: Someone is trying to update your DNS data using the RFC2136 Dynamic
Update protocol.  Windows 2000 machines have a habit of sending dynamic
update requests to DNS servers without being specifically configured to
do so.  If the update requests are coming from a Windows 2000 machine,
see <http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q246/8/04.asp>
for information about how to turn them off.

Also, please remember that comp.protocols.dns.bind is bidirectionally
gatewayed with the bind-users mailing list. Please do not forge email
addresses here.

-Pete
--
"religious fanatics are not part of my desired user base."
- djb at cr.yp.to