Web Sever with Multiple Domain Names

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 2 15:32:11 UTC 2002

In article <aaq47t$ccki$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Matt Karston <karston19 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the help, but how exactly does the DNS server on my LAN get
>hooked up to the outside world (the internet).  I also herd of
>something that ISP sometimes offer DNS services, is this an option?

You register your DNS server through your DNS registrar, and then update
the registrations of your domains to point to your DNS server instead of
the hosting company's DNS servers.

You need to have at least two DNS servers (normally a master and slaves),
so the master could be your server and the slaves could be provided by a
third party.  If your ISP offers slave DNS service, that's often the most
convenient option.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA