Bind 9 installed but still Bind8

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu May 2 18:59:46 UTC 2002

Stefan Matamoros <Kroax at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello everybody!

> I installed Bind9 on Solaris 8 but it uses still Bind8 instead
> of Bind9.How can I invoke Bind9 at Startup?
> Where can I start Bind9,with named??I´m quite new to this Unix World!

bind-9 will, by default, be installed in /usr/local/[sbin|bin]

The location of sun-s named could be /usr/sbin/in.named ( i'm guessing here,
i have not bin using  sun's named the last 10 years)

Now you have a choice here, either you overwrite sun-s named and keep
suns startup-scripts ( in /etc/init.d/ or you use bind's default
location (/usr/local..) and adjust the startup scripts. There is pro's
and con's with both approaches.

You also have a number of utilities : dig, nslookup and host , you surely
want to use the modern ones. By overwriting the old ones you don't
have to adjust every PATH to have /usr/local/[bin|sbin] before /usr/[bin|sbin] .

The bad thing with overwriting is that an update of solaris might
overwrite your binaries, thus you better keep your build-dirs and
install bind again if you ever applies any solaris patches.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)