9.2.1 Memory usage

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 10 14:31:55 UTC 2002

In article <abfrll$bj60$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Udo Erdelhoff  <ue at nathan.ruhr.de> wrote:
>In other words, the answer to your question is: It depends on the
>traffic and the zones you have.  ;-)

Also the configuration.  You can reduce your memory usage significantly
using the "host-statistics no" option.

Here's one of our authoritative servers, hosting over 32,000 zones:

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
26995 root       1 -14    0  372M  334M run   670.1H 46.15% named

and here's one of our caching servers, handing 300-400 queries/sec, and
which has been up for over 3 weeks:

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
14083 root       1  -4    0  284M  271M run    81.5H 29.27% named

We have host-statistics disabled on the caching server.

Both of these are running BIND 8, not BIND 9, but I suspect the results
would be similar.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA