A problem with a domain name

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Thu Nov 7 00:01:06 UTC 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Saad Kadhi wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 04:57:48PM +0100, Luis Abenza S=E1nchez wrote:
> > Hi all, I have a working bind dns server, but i have a problem with a d=
omain, that is not working. All the order domains are working well, i think=
 it is because the "-". The domain is audioe-motion.com. Any idea?

> no. "-" is a valid char. your pb is elsewhere (look down)
>
> > This is the zone file:
> >
> > $ttl 38400
> > audioe-motion.com.      IN      SOA     dns.confialia.com. luis.confial=
ia.com. (
> >                         1035476509
> >                         10800
> >                         3600
> >                         604800
> >                         38400 )
> you are missing ";" after the serial, refresh, retry, expire and n-ttl fi=
elds
> above. this should be:
> audioe-motion.com.      IN      SOA     dns.confialia.com. luis.confialia=
=2Ecom.  (
>                         1035476509=09; <- do not ever ever forget me

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't actually know the answer,
please don't guess. http://bind-users.info/FAQ.html#Guess

The ; starts a comment in a zone file, it has no other syntactical
significance. I write all my SOA's like this:

domain.com. SOA hidden-master.domain.com. hostmaster.domain.com. (
                2002110501      60m     15m     1w      10m     )
;               Serial          Refresh Retry   Expire  Neg. TTL

The problem in the poster's zone file was elsewhere, as someone else
pointed out already.