Strange problems with NIS and DNS/BIND on same system

Chris Steinke chris at new.net
Mon Nov 11 19:51:55 UTC 2002

Hi

I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem, I have
been scouring google
and the FreeBSD newsgroups and found nothing in regards to an answer to
his problem. It
appears that several people have had this problem, but I never found any
follow up
messages or replies.

I hope this is going to the appropriate news groups, apologies to the
freebsd-net subscribers
if everyone feels this is 'off topic' but then again....

I'm running a FreeBSD 4.7 server on a dual processor PIII 500 with 1GB
of ram.

It's configured as a DNS server and an NIS/YP master server.

I am running bind 8.3.3-RELEASE and was compiled localy with gcc-3.2.

I am receiving numerous messages in my system log (/var/log/messages) from
ypserv

Nov 10 16:35:16 samba1 ypserv[79]: DNS query failed
Nov 10 16:35:16 samba1 ypserv[79]: res_mkquery failed
Nov 10 16:35:47 samba1 last message repeated 43 times
Nov 10 16:37:48 samba1 last message repeated 171 times
Nov 10 16:47:49 samba1 last message repeated 840 times

I also ran a 'truss' on named and I see the following messages:

recvfrom(0x14,0xbfbfea40,0x1001,0x0,0xbfbffa50,0xbfbfea3c) ERR#35
'Resource temporarily unavailable'

Any clues to what might be happening?

I don't have any problems, accessing various domains and can do dns
queries and lookups
without any problems.

Nothing seems to be amiss when doing an 'nslookup' and setting debug
mode on...

Funny thing is is that I have only seen these kinds of messages when
running FreeBSD and Linux
as an NIS master server, never when running Solaris, AIX or IRIX as an
NIS master server.

Thank you very much for any help!

Chris