Setting UP DNS Name Servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Nov 11 20:57:30 UTC 2002

satcom2k wrote:

>     I have currently become interested in setting up my own name
>  servers, I have read through the documentation on BIND and have been
>  able to setup my own local domains successfully.  The problem that I
>  have run into is that, I have registered a domain and received the
>  static IP ip addresses that I need to setup the nameservers, but
>  when I go to change the nameservers at the registrar it will not
>  change them, instead it returns  a error say that the name servers
>  are invalid, I used the reverse lookup names for the ip addresses
>  since the registrar does not allow you to use the IP addresses for
>  the update.  What do I need to do to setup my two name servers to be
>  recognized by the registrar as the name servers.  I would appreciate
>  any help.

Two thoughts:

1) does the *forward* resolution for those names work? Don't assume that
just because the PTR points to a name, that the name actually resolves
to anything.

2) the registrar might be specifically querying *your* nameservers for
the names of the nameservers. If you have recursion turned off, they
might not be returning useful answers to those queries. Possible
quick-and-dirty workarounds: a) open up recursion temporarily, b) set
yourself up as a slave for the relevant zone(s).

Initially, why don't you set up your domain on your nameservers, create
names in that domain for the nameservers (e.g. ns1.example.com and
ns2.example.com), and then register with those names? Once your domain
is up and running, you can always go back and change the delegations if
you want to. Or, if you can get control of the relevant reverse
namespace, leave them the way they are and you can make the forward and
reverse match.