BIND 8.2 based DNS and AD

lauren misslw at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 19:09:43 UTC 2002

Scavenging is only an option for QIP-managed Windows 2000
DNS servers, not QIP remote servers running BIND or Lucent
DNS Service. You are right, the interval is set to 0 by
default so you would have to enable it.
For servers running BIND/Lucent DNS Service the only
function that I can think of that resembles scavenging was
introduced in QIP 6.0, that is the qip-tombstonepurge CLI
(which you have to enable). I could be wrong though.

Sounds like you are pretty much set on MS AD-integrated DNS
for your AD zone, you probably know this but if you want to
use QIP for your IP management and MS for your DNS, you can
either:
1) configure QIP-managed MS 2000 remote servers through the
QIP interface
2) don't install remote service on MS server, configure the
server through the MS interface and then set up a cron job
with qip-miniddma/qip-syncexternal CLI to pull records from
the MS DNS server and drop them into the QIP database. This
way you aren't using QIP-managed DNS servers for the AD
zone but you can still do audits, reports, etc on those
objects.

As far as your SRV records disappearing (while using Lucent
DNS Service), I haven't ever had that problem. They get
dropped into Domain Extensions (assume that is what you
were talking about when you said they were hard coded). But
another previous poster was right, QIP thinks that
whatever's in the database is THE information. When a
standard dynamic update occurs, BIND/Lucent DNS will take
the update and run along happily. But if a record is not in
the database it's not going in the zone files next time you
do a push. So you will lose the update if it didn't make it
to the database. But if you are using Lucent DNS, the QIP
Update Service should take care of the database updates. I
use QIP 6.0, so YMMV.