Question about /etc/named.data/db.cache

John magiciq at noordbrabant.net
Mon Nov 11 22:07:36 UTC 2002

Hi all,

Question about /etc/named.data/db.cache

# more /etc/resolv.conf
domain amsterdam.nl berlin.de brussel.be vienna.at madrid.es helsinki.fi

nameserver 194.229.188.24
nameserver 194.229.188.25

The last couple of lines in /etc/named.conf

zone "berlin.de" {
        type forward;
        forwarders {
              213.162.88.3;
              213.162.88.4;
              };
        forward only;
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "db.cache";
};

When the content of the db.cache are in comment, I mean every syntax is
start with ";".

;
; FILL IN THE NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF THE ROOT SERVERS
;
;.  99999999 IN NS rotdns1.
;
;rotdns1. 99999999 IN A 194.229.188.24
;

zone "holland" is resolved by local DNS's and germany.berlin.de is
resolved by foreign DNS's using type forward.

When I do
# nslookup germany.berlin.de
I get error.
But if I do
# nslookup holland
it works.

To troubleshoot why nslookup germany.berlin.de doesn't work, I use
"sig_named -deb 9 germany.berlin.de".
Inside the log file, I found the next strange behaviour...
   germany.berlin.de.amsterdam.nl
Why amsterdam.nl is added behind germany.berlin.de, I think that is the
reason why I get error in "nslookup germany.berlin.de" Can somebody
explain that??

When I remove the ";" in the db.cache.
;
; FILL IN THE NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF THE ROOT SERVERS
;
.  99999999 IN NS rotdns1.
;
rotdns1. 99999999 IN A 194.229.188.24