Question about the content of the /etc/resolv.conf

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 12 19:59:13 UTC 2002

Cricket Liu wrote:

> John wrote:
>
> > What I think is (correct me if I am wrong) if you put all the domains
> > (berlin.de brussel.be etc..etc..) after keyword "search"...resolve
> > foreign name will be faster is that true??
>
> No.

To elaborate, if you use a short name and the domain you want happens to be
at the end of a search list, then resolution will actually be *slower* than
if you had just looked up the fully-qualified name in the first place. It
will also use up more resources on the client, on the network, on the
DNS server, etc. The "convenience" of search lists comes at a heavy price.
This is why I suggested you educate your users (or yourself, if you're the
only relevant user here :-) to always use fully-qualified names.

-Kevin