Question about BIND's handling of mismatched glue

Ollie Cook ollie at uk.clara.net
Tue Nov 12 17:51:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:57:50PM +0000, Jim Reid wrote:
>     Ollie> Is this 'automatic' in the sense that if the child A RRs
>     Ollie> for the glue records disappear, they will also disappear
>     Ollie> from the GTLD servers by some means (i.e. GTLD servers
>     Ollie> query authoritative servers at intervals), or in a looser
>     Ollie> sense that they ought to match but this is not enforced?
>
> It's the latter. The child has to ensure that any glue held at the
> parent is correct and up to date. The parent has no way of knowing
> that, let alone automatically updating the info by itself.

Ok - that's what I had thought. Just wanted it confirmed. :)

> this zone is broken in other ways. According to the .org servers, this
> zone is delegated to ns3.baiden.com and ns4.baiden.com. The latter
> gives a SERVFAIL when it's queried for lifelinenetwork.org.

Indeed.

> and should have cached that, making lifelinenetwork.org unresolvable
> until the negative cache entries expire. How enchanting.

Thank you for explaining that in such detail.

> Once a server has got glue from the parent, it has to query the glue
> to get the definitive NS RRset for the delegation. One of the glue

That is the point I think I needed confirmed; that the glue is only used as an
initial pointer and the NSes are replaced by those returned from the glue.

>     Ollie> I can't see how it's giving SERVFAIL, when at least one of
>     Ollie> the authoritative nameservers is giving correct data
>     Ollie> (213.171.200.58).

Now I do, due to the glue being superceded.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post in such detail.

Yours,

Ollie

--
Oliver Cook    Systems Administrator, ClaraNET
ollie at uk.clara.net               020 7903 3065