[weird] Re: rpm install with "--disable-threads" for 9.2.1x ??

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Nov 14 18:56:55 UTC 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:45:47PM -0600, Pete Ehlke wrote:
> I'd have built RPMs too, if I were a linux admin. I'm a firm believer in
> not installing any software on a unix system that's not wrapped up in
> the operating system's native package format. All that 'make install'
> stuff leads to system state drift over time. I hate system state drift.
> I like systems that can be easily and automatically reproduced with a
> simple list of packages. Anyone who's had to reproduce or upgrade a
> large development server, and spent days or weeks trying to document
> everything that's been dumped onto the source machine with 'make
> install' should be nodding in recognition here ;)

I heartily agree that everything installed should be documented, else
you spend inordinate amounts of time hunting odd things down when you
need to re-build or validate or upgrade or ...  You appear to have
chosen "the system's native package format" for that - although Linux
has many such, not just RPMs.  This can lead to a multitude of stored
formats, though.  My choice for the middle step was to document it all
in a common fashion for all different systems.

> For those of us who primarily do solaris, I can't say enough good things
> about http://www.bpfh.net/computing/software/pkg-tools/ for creating
> solaris packages out of traditional 'make install' based routines.

Thanks for the link!

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B