Unix client resolving differently

Cinense, Mark macinen at sandia.gov
Mon Nov 18 21:32:24 UTC 2002

I was wondering if anyone has seen this.  I have 2 BIND servers internally
behind a firewall, and they do not communicate with any of the root servers,
or any nameserver except for my 2 external BIND servers.

For some strange reason, when you are on a Unix machine, you do a lookup on
chivas.mp, the nameserver will return 64.65.105.59.  However on an MS box,
you do the same lookup and it returns what my zone file has in it.  So for
example:

UNIX machine:

# nslookup chivas.mp
Server:  ns4.sandia.gov
Address:  134.253.45.135

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    chivas.mp
Address:  64.65.105.59

WINDOWS machine:

F:\>nslookup chivas.mp
Server:  ns4.sandia.gov
Address:  134.253.16.5

Name:    saux016.sandia.gov
Address:  134.253.246.128
Aliases:  chivas.mp.sandia.gov

I had the client do a snoop on the packets, and looks like the Unix machine
is sending out the query like this:

Chivas.mp.

Which is really strange.

I am not sure why it is doing this.  Can someone please help.

Mark