Unix client resolving differently

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 00:27:38 UTC 2002

"Cinense, Mark" wrote:

> I had the client do a snoop on the packets, and looks like the Unix machine
> is sending out the query like this:
>
> Chivas.mp.
>
> Which is really strange.

No it isn't.

First nslookup really sucks for DNS troubleshooting - learn dig.

My nslookup manual page says it will do this if no default
domain is defined, so at a guess you have no "search sandia.gov"
in /etc/resolv.conf, but your nslookup may be different, that is
one of the biggest problem with using it for troubleshooting.

This looks like an issue with configuring Unix DNS clients,
Cricket's DNS and BIND 4th Edition has a lot of discussion of
different flavours of Unix and how they resolve names.