Multiple C-Names and a Zone that does not load

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Nov 25 23:41:03 UTC 2002

"Paul W. Stoecker, Ph.D." wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Trying to migrate to 9.2.1 from 8.2 Sun.  A couple of items:
>
> 1.  I know about the singleton type errors, I need to download someone
> else's zone, but BIND 9 won't ignore this RFC violation and just end
> the transfer.  I have no control over this server that resides in a
> foreign country.

Well, why are you trying to "download" this zone in the first place? Are
you trying to be a "stealth" slave for the zone? Without the knowledge or
consent of the zone owner? That sounds a little fishy. If you have a
legitimate reason to be doing regular zone transfers of a zone, then you
should know the zone owner and presumably get them to fix the
RFC violation.

> I have heard of a "patch", but can't find it.

A patch to facilitate standards non-conformance? I have no doubt that
such a thing exists, but I don't think anyone here is likely to help you
find it...

> 2.  I have a zone that is transfered during BIND 8.2, but not 9.2.1.
> I can switch versions and with 8 no problem, 9 no response...nothing
> really in the debug file, nothing in my xfer.log that I made, and it
> looks like there is no response from the other DNS server.  I can
> download zones from other external servers, just not this one
> particular server.
>
> It has a 10.0.0.0 address and runs Lucent QIP DNS server....any
> ideas???

BIND 9 sends EDNS0 probes, and some older implementations don't deal very
well with that. That's one possible explanation among many. If you want
to stop the EDNS0 probes on a server-by-server basis, you can create a
server statement like:

server 1.2.3.4 {
    edns no;
};

You may also want to look at tweaking the "transfer-format" option within
the "server" statement.