domain suddenly doesn't resolve

Jeff Lasman jblists at nobaloney.net
Thu Nov 28 16:51:29 UTC 2002

Gerald Waugh wrote:

> I have a server that I tend ns0.hostshq.com
> Suddenly nonthing in the hostshq zone resolves
> hostshq.com
> ns0.hostshq.com
> ns1.hostshq.com
> Another zone on the same server is acting up
> freelance-direct.com
>
> auction-buyer.com=20
> centerprice.com and=20
> usabidders.com=20
> all on the same server work OK
>
> Can anyone tell me what went wrong?
> They have been working

Gerald,

According to Dotster whois, neither the hostshq.com nor the
freelance-direct.com are served by either ns0.hostshq.com or by
ns1.hostshq.com; they both appear to be served by
ns.stedmundsbury.org.uk and by ns1.split-infinity.net.

auction-buyer.com, centerprice.com and usabidders.com appear to be
served by ns0.hostshq.com and by ns1.hostshq.com.

a.gtld-servers.com gives the same results, so we must presume that the
Internet "thinks" that the two domains (hostshq.com and
freelance-direct.com) are supposed to be resolved by
ns.stedmundsbury.org.uk and by ns1.split-infinity.net.

While I've seen whois get out of sync because backups were restored, the
fact that the tld servers see the same thing whois does seems to rule
this out.

According to Dotster whois, here are the last-updated dates for the
various domains:

hostshq.com          11/15
freelance-direct.com 11/08
auction-buyer.com    11/19
centerprice.com      11/20
usabidders.com       11/21

It appears as if the ones last-updated on or after November 19th work
and the ones last-updated on or before November 15th don't <frown>.

So I'd talk to Leonard (the sites' owner) first.  If he didn't change
the nameservers then either there's a real problem at Dotster, or
someone else has the passwords to his account <frown>.  Presuming
Leonard wants you to host DNS for these sites at ns0.hostshq.com and at
ns1.hostshq.com, he should be able to make the change through his
account.

While I have some direct voice contacts I can usually reach at Dotster,
they're not there today and they most likely won't be there tomorrow
<frown>.  But I don't think you'll need anyone at Dotster to help unless
the entire Dotster system is broken, which doesn't seem to be the case,
since no-one else is reporting problems (we've got a lot of domains
hosted at Dotster; I've just checked them all, and they all work).

Happy Thanksgiving to Gerald and others in the U.S.A.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Internet & Unix/Linux/Sun/Cobalt Consulting +1 909 778-9980