Changing a primary or secondary server IP address

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Sat Nov 30 00:41:55 UTC 2002

Jason Currell wrote:
> I'm wondering if anybody knows how to change the ip address of a
> primary or secondary DNS
> for example if you were moving ISP's and therefore are going to be
> given a new IP range.
> Do I have to change the DNS IP with every domain registrar for every
> domain that I own or can
> I get away with just making one registrar change to the nameservers
> domain only.

You only have to change the name server's IP address once, through
the registrar responsible for it (in this case, Network Solutions).

> eg. Right now I've got the domain's nettwerk.com and werkshop.com
> registered with Netwerk Solutions.
>
> Domain:         nettwerk.com
> Primary:         ns1.nettwerk.com   209.17.154.2
> Secondary:    ns2.nettwerk.com    209.17.154.1
>
> Domain:        werkshop.com
> Primary:        ns1.nettwerk.com   209.17.154.2
> Secondary:   ns2.nettwerk.com    209.17.154.1
>
> I assume that I need to log into Network Solutions and change my
> primary and secondary DNS IP's for
> nettwerk.com but do I also need to do this for werkshop.com since my
> domain name servers are listed as
> ns1.nettwerk.com and ns2.nettwerk.com???  ie) Will it work for me to
> make just the one registrar change
> for nettwerk.com and then change ns2.nettwerk.com to be 207.102.64.2
> in the DNS only ???

Just change the IP addresses of the name servers.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/