Server Replacement

David Botham dns at botham.net
Thu Oct 3 14:39:16 UTC 2002

The
> IP address will be different so I know I will need to change that with
the
> registrar. Any other gotchas I should be aware of?

Yes.  I am fairly certain that even if you change the IP of the name
server with your Registrar, that change will not filter into the
delegation RR for the zones on that name server.

In other words:  Let's say your name server is ns1.foo.com with IP
192.168.1.10 (that will be changed to 10.10.1.10).  Also, let's say that
you have a domain that is registered to use that name server called
bar.com.

I am pretty sure you will need to make two changes here:

1.  Change your name server host record at the registrar for ns1.foo.com
to reflect ns1's change in IP address to 10.10.1.10.
2.  Change the bar.com registration information to reflect the change in
ns1's IP address to 10.10.1.10.

I am sure you can see where the lag associated with these changes can
cause a lapse in resolution if you are not careful.  This problem gets
worse with an increase in the number of zones hosted on the name server.
I recommend a process something like this:

1.  Create (and register) a new name server (say ns2) and load all the
zones from the old name server on it.
2.  Make the old name server a slave to the new server (make changes on
the new server, they will replicate to the old server).
3.  Make all the necessary changes with your registrar for all your
domains.
4.  When you are sure that no one is using the old name server anymore
(all delegation information is updated at the registrar and TTLs [gtld
ttls are currently 2d] have expired), take the ole name server off the
net.

Dave...