Unix BIND Delegation to Win2k Error message

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Oct 4 19:38:18 UTC 2002

> On internal network with BIND 8.3 DNS server with root file delegation to
> internal.org which is held on win2k DNS server.
>
> In BIND 8.3 log I get repeated
>
> unrelated additional info 'test.internal.org' type A from
[42.110.54.76].53

> What does this mean ? Does it mean win2k is returing extra junk in the
> response ?

If I remember correctly, the Microsoft DNS Server thinks that an
A RR for the name server in the SOA record's MNAME field is
"related additional data," but BIND doesn't.  Could that explain it?

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/