BIND 9 & RBL

Mike Diggins diggins at McMaster.CA
Wed Oct 9 03:12:14 UTC 2002

On my BIND 9 installation running on two DNS servers, the mail-abuse rbl
zone updates every two hours (exactly) causing a "blackout" of both my DNS
servers for just under a minute (at precisely the same time) while that
BIG zone loads! This is the same problem I faced with BIND 8 but was under
the impression that BIND 9 would improve that but it hasn't.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to prevent this blackout period
and still load the zone locally? Is there a way to configure this zone not
to update automatically and, instead, use rndc to download the zone during
known quiet periods?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Mike