BIND 9 & RBL

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Oct 9 03:30:47 UTC 2002

> On my BIND 9 installation running on two DNS servers, the mail-abuse rbl
> zone updates every two hours (exactly) causing a "blackout" of both my DNS
> servers for just under a minute (at precisely the same time) while that
> BIG zone loads! This is the same problem I faced with BIND 8 but was under
> the impression that BIND 9 would improve that but it hasn't.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to prevent this blackout period
> and still load the zone locally? Is there a way to configure this zone not
> to update automatically and, instead, use rndc to download the zone during
> known quiet periods?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -Mike

	I suspect that you will find that the new zone is actually loaded
	and that it is the database free that is taking time.  You can
	verify this by seeing if the cache file has been updated.  The
	free occurs *after* this.

	If this is the case the setting ISC_MEM_USE_INTERNAL_MALLOC to
	1 in lib/isc/mem.c may help.  There are other things we are looking
	into but are not yet ready to make available.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org