How to setup DNS with same domain as the one on internet

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Oct 9 23:13:10 UTC 2002

> Does Bind supports internal DNS domain that is the same as the one on
> internet? For example, I want to setup 'yahoo.com' in my LAN that has DNS
> entry already on the internet. But I can't set up it to work. I did the
> similar things in older Bind and it worked, I just don't understand why
this
> doesn't work. Here are my configuration files:
>
> /var/named/yahoo.com.hosts:
>
> @ IN SOA localhost. root at localhost. (
> 1034181310
> 10800
> 3600
> 604800
> 38400 )
>
> yahoo.com. IN NS ns1.yahoo.com.
> yahoo.com. IN NS ns2.yahoo.com.
>

> yahoo.com. IN A 192.168.1.101 // private IP
> ns1.yahoo.com. IN A 66.218.71.63
> ns2.yahoo.com. IN A 209.132.1.28
>
> /etc/named.conf:
[...]
> zone "yahoo.com" {
> forward only;
> forwarders {
> 66.218.71.63;
> 206.13.29.12;
> 206.13.30.12;
> };
>
> type master;
> file "/var/named/yahoo.com.hosts";
>
> };

What are you trying to do?  Do you want to forward queries for domain names
that end in yahoo.com to the three name servers you have listed in the
forwarders
substatement?  Or do you want to return the records in the zone data file?
It
looks like you're trying to do both.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/