Cache and munge some records too.

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Oct 9 21:50:22 UTC 2002

> I'm running my Bind 9.2.1 server as a caching only name server, all is
> well.  I want to fudge the records for certian domain names so that they
> point to a different IP address.  Currently I edit the hosts file on my
> computers to know the update, I would like the update to be network
> wide.  Is it possible to tell bind to report a different IP address for
> a domain name that I'm not authoritative for?  If so, how?

Well, you can create a zone that contains just that domain name
and make your name server authoritative for it.  For example:

zone "www.foo.example" {
	type master;
	file "db.www.foo.example";
};

And in db.www.foo.example:

@	IN	SOA	your.name.server.	your.email.address.	(
	2002100900 1h 15m 30d 1h )
	IN	NS	your.name.server.

	IN	A	<the IP address you want to return>

> And another question about caching:
> My name server caches records for how long?  The TTL from the SOA
> correct?

No, the TTL from the records it's cached.  In the master file on
the primary master name server, each record either has an explicit
TTL or a default, usually inherited from a $TTL control statement.

> Sometimes when my internet connection fails my Bind server
> will also fail to give responses to my clients?  Shouldn't it report
> data from the cache?

It should, but maybe the clients aren't finding the cached data
initially because of application of the search list.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/