Active Directory zone delegation on BIND 9

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Oct 12 23:27:49 UTC 2002

At 06:23 PM 10/10/02, Tom Maddox wrote:
>Hmm, I'm pretty sure that cross-posting to those three groups in
>particular is going to call down *someone's* wrath upon me.  Oh well,
>I have little choice but to be as a lover in France and throw cochon
>to the wind.

I'm not sure how you managed to pick up the pig in order to through it! :-)
I don't think lovers in France get near pigs.

>Anyway, I'm setting up Active Directory to (theoretically) interact
>with BIND 9 on Linux.  Specifically, I want to delegate the four
>zones, _udp, _tcp, _msdcs, and _sites, to the Win2K box.  It looks like
>DNS is configured properly on the Win2K server, in that DNS is running,
>dynamic updates are permitted, and the name table appears to have all
>the appropriate entries for AD.  Here's what I've got in the master
>zone file:
>
>$ORIGIN example.com
>_msdcs                  NS      wbrdc
>_sites                  NS      wbrdc
>_tcp                    NS      wbrdc
>_udp                    NS      wbrdc
>
>"wbrdc" is the name of the domain controller that's performing name
>service.
>
>I'm clearly missing something, and it's probably something stupid.
>Any thoughts on what it is?

Does something not work? You've delegated the _msdcs.example.com.,
etc. zones to the wbrdc.example.com. nameserver. You don't show an
A record for wbrdc, but you should have one. If you're missing something
then you need to at least tell us the symptoms of what is not working.
The mindreader is currently offline.

Danny