Active Directory zone delegation on BIND 9

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Oct 14 15:12:09 UTC 2002

"Michael E. Hanson" <MEHanson at GryphonsGate.com> replied to a posting:

>Also make sure that your DC points to itself as its primary DNS (in
>TCP/IP settings) as that's the DNS its going to try to automatically
>update with its SRV records.

This is not a requirement.  We do not have our DC that is running
W2k DNS point to itself.  The netlogon code will do an SOA query to
DNS to find the SOA and extract the name of the master server.
We point our W2k DNS to out public DNS servers, which have copies\
of the "_" zones and can answer the SOA query authoritatively.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov