Bind Problem :(

Eric L. Howard elh at outreachnetworks.com
Sat Oct 19 17:27:52 UTC 2002

At a certain time, now past, Mahmood Javanmardi spake thusly:
> Suppose that We have "foo.com" domain that is mapped to a class C network
> say 200.200.1.0/24

Technically speaking, a domain isn't mapped to a netblock.  A domain is
delegated to nameservers and registered to an organization.  The
organization that runs "foo.com" is then responsible for creating entries
about hosts and subdomains under "foo.com".

> But Our Mail Server is Somewhere else, ("mail.foo.com") with another IP
> address say 64.239.82.55 that is shared between some mail server and
> maintain by somebody else who have their own DNS server.

That's not a problem, you need an entry in your zone for "foo.com" that
tells the world that mail.foo.com has an address of aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.  That
address does not have to reside on your network, but the host that is
supposed to be an MX for "foo.com" needs to know that it's providing those
functions.

> I have created all the nessecary files to run bind means:
> db.cache,  db.200.200.1, db.127.0.0, db.foo and also named.conf
> But I don't know what I should append to these configuration to support my
> mail server.

You need an MX record for the "foo.com" domain that points to "mail.foo.com"
and an A record for "mail.foo.com".  There are a couple ways to do this, but
since you didn't let us know what your zone file looks like the entries
below should help w/ your config.

foo.com.      IN     MX     5      mail.foo.com.
mail.foo.com. IN     A      aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

       ~elh

--
Eric L. Howard           e l h @ o u t r e a c h n e t w o r k s . c o m