Why is e.root-servers.net trying to smurf me?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 08:56:11 UTC 2002

Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

>         Secondly E.root-servers.net may be a innocent victim itself.

Last night I was reading that the root servers were recently
suffering a DDoS based on ICMP echo request, but the suggestion
was this lasted only an hour or so. Presumably if this was
spoofed traffic this could be replies from such traffic, but I
haven't seen any technical details.

Drew, and the Washington post, could be the only groups to have
noticed that attack ;-)

Curious someone would go to the trouble of arranging a massive
DDoS attack against the Internet DNS, and not bother reading the
literature that discusses why attacking the root servers isn't
the way to go. I guess if they were competent as well as clever
they could be dangerous.

Anyway definitely worth reporting to your ISP.