private dns server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Oct 25 14:16:42 UTC 2002

T wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 01:28:00 +0000, T wrote:
>
> hello again,
> I think I have it working now. (3 weeks later)
> I know it is not 100% correct but my windos pc's are registering
> automaticlly.
>
> I really only have 2 more questions.
>
> 1) how do you get linux to register in DNS?
> I can use nsupdate to get it to work but I would like that done
> when I boot. (some are static and others are dynamic)

Are you talking about multiple Linux boxes ("some are static and others
are dynamic") or are you talking about WinTel boxes (which above you
said were registering automatically)?

If a box has a "static" address, why do you need it to register at boot
time? Just add a DNS entry once and be done with it.

For the "dynamic" boxes, if they're Linux, you could always have a
startup script run an appropriate nsupdate command. Linux/Unix is nice
and configurable that way. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has
already written such a startup script...

> 2) if my provider has DNS servers how do I use those addreses.
> do i edit the root servers file?

Are you sure you'll derive any benefit from using your provider's
DNS servers?

The only reasonable use I see is to set your box(es) up to forward to
them, but I'd only implement that if there were are a demonstrable
benefit to doing so.

> I hope my questions are not two lame.

Your questions are fine, but I think you meant "too" instead of "two"...