private dns server

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Oct 27 16:05:27 UTC 2002

At 06:06 AM 10/26/02, T wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:21:57 +0000, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
>Hello Kevin,
>Basically what I am trying to do is create a caching server
>with the ability to resolve the names of machines on my lan.
>
>I almost have everything working.
>
>The reason I was going to use my providers DNS servers was so
>I would not have to maintain the root servers file.

You don't have to maintain the root servers file. BIND will fetch more
recent data if they ever change. I believe the last change was something
like 1997.

>I found out how to use forwarders (first,only) statement so I am set there.
>I need to learn more about root servers and how to maintain them properly.

BIND 9 has them built in, but you can still keep the root file.

>For now I am left with 1 question.
>How do I get Linux to register it self at boot?
>For the static boxes I can run the command by hand, as for the dynamic boxes
>I guess I need a script.

If you are using DHCP, just get the DHCP server to register them.

>I bet there is one somewhere (probably on my HD) but I cant find one.
>I also dont know how to wright one.
>
>Anyway how do other people deal with Linux name registration?

They use the DHCP server to do that. There's no reason to create scripts
and run nsupdate by hand.

Danny