resolver appends local domain name

Alexander Bolovan ashaq at rcn.com
Mon Oct 28 17:54:29 UTC 2002

On Sun Solaris 8 with BIND 9.2 -
- system is configured as cache-only server
- system needs to know about a few internal nodes which are configured
in /etc/hosts file
- name resolution is using forwarders at the ISP
Issues:
- nslookup does not seem to be using /etc/hosts as name resolution
fails for all systems configured in the file
- resolver adds the local domain name to any domain names it cannot
resolve
- this issues cause in turn issues with Sendmail which I have to run
on the same system
Questions:
1) is there a way to make nslookup use hosts file ?
2) how can I prevent the local domain be added to the domain names for
whom name resolution fails ?
( Example of the issue:
# nslookup
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> piatra.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    piatra.com.mydomain.com  <--- ?

Below are the related configuration files.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Configuration files:
resolv.conf
------------
domain mydomain.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver ip-address1-at-isp
nameserver ip-address2-at-isp

nsswitch.conf
-------------
includes the line
hosts: files dns

named.conf
----------
options {
        directory "/etc";
        forwarders { ip-address1-at-isp; ip-address2-at-isp; };
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "db.rootcache";