multiple domains, with few zone files

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 29 21:43:26 UTC 2002

Randy Bey wrote:

> Given soandso.com, and soandso.biz, soandso.info, etc.
> Also given that you want to resolve to www.soandso.com for all of the
> above
>
> My thought is to create 'stubby' zone file using ORIGIN operator, and
> containing minimum info necessary for each .biz, .info, etc.
>
> i.e.
> @                       IN  SOA ns.soandso.com. dnsguy.soandso.com. (
>                                 16          ; serial number
>                                 3600        ; refresh
>                                 600         ; retry
>                                 86400       ; expire
>                                 3600      ) ; minimum TTL
> @                       NS      ns.soandso.com.
> @                       NS      ns1.soandso.com.
> @                       NS      ns2.isp.net.
> @                       NS      ns3.isp.net.
>
> www                     IN      CNAME www.soandso.com
> ;-----
>
> then reference same stubby file for all .biz, .info, etc in
> /etc/named.conf.
>
> But is this legal?

Sure. By the way, you only need the "@" on the first line; you could use
whitespace for the others and they'll just inherit the owner name.

I'm not sure why you think you need the $ORIGIN directive. You didn't
show it; how were you planning to use it?

> Wouldn't one expect at least one A record in a zone
> file?

One would expect that, but it's not necessary.

But, don't you want "soandso.biz" (for example) to resolve to the same
thing as "www.soandso.biz"? You might still want to put an A record in
that zone file (with an owner name of "@" or whitespace, assuming that it
can inherit the owner name from an earlier line).