multiple domains, with few zone files

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Oct 30 06:25:35 UTC 2002

Randy Bey wrote:
> Given soandso.com, and soandso.biz, soandso.info, etc.
> Also given that you want to resolve to www.soandso.com for all of the
> above
>
> My thought is to create 'stubby' zone file using ORIGIN operator, and
> containing minimum info necessary for each .biz, .info, etc.
>
> i.e.
> @                       IN  SOA ns.soandso.com. dnsguy.soandso.com. (
>                                 16          ; serial number
>                                 3600        ; refresh
>                                 600         ; retry
>                                 86400       ; expire
>                                 3600      ) ; minimum TTL
> @                       NS      ns.soandso.com.
> @                       NS      ns1.soandso.com.
> @                       NS      ns2.isp.net.
> @                       NS      ns3.isp.net.
>
> www                     IN      CNAME www.soandso.com
> ;-----
>
> then reference same stubby file for all .biz, .info, etc in
> /etc/named.conf.
>
> But is this legal? Wouldn't one expect at least one A record in a zone
> file?

That's fine.  It can't be the zone data file for soandso.com, for obvious
reasons, but it can be the zone data file for the other zones.  Of course,
you might want the domain names soandso.com, soandso.biz, and
soandso.info to point to the address of the web server, too, in which
case this might be a better zone data file:

@                       IN  SOA ns.soandso.com. dnsguy.soandso.com. (
                                16          ; serial number
                                3600        ; refresh
                                600         ; retry
                                86400       ; expire
                                3600      ) ; minimum TTL
@                       NS      ns.soandso.com.
@                       NS      ns1.soandso.com.
@                       NS      ns2.isp.net.
@                       NS      ns3.isp.net.
@                        A        10.0.0.1
www                     IN      CNAME @

You can use that zone data file for all of those zones, including
soandso.com.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/