Integrating BIND with Active Directory

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 4 00:52:09 UTC 2002

Marion Bogdanov wrote:

> Anyone,
> If you have successfully integrated BIND 9.2 with Windows 2000 AD please
> respond to this post.  I like to talk to you more about it.

Well, there's basically two types of BIND/AD integration:

1) give (via delegation) AD a part or parts of your namespace and let it do
whatever it wants,

or

2) put the SRV records, etc. that AD requires into your existing namespace

There are a couple different variations on #2:

2a) Collect the DNS data from the domain controllers and shove it into your
zone(s),

or

2b) Open up your zone(s) to Dynamic Update and let them write their own
records.

I've implemented (2b). I understand that others in this forum have
implemented (1).