simple newbie question..

Douglas E. Schleutker schleutker at schleutker.net
Sun Sep 15 05:15:55 UTC 2002

Jeff,
If you want to learn BIND.... Buy the book!
You'll never regret the purchase.

Doug Schleutker

On 9/14/02 at 1:06 AM jeff wrote:

->       Hi, I am a computer engineering student that, for fun and=
 learning, wants to
->       set up a server.  I have set up Apache on my Linux machine and I=
 can see the
->       test web page by typing in my IP address.  I can't get there by=
 typing in my
->       registered domain name, however.  I think I have figured out that=
 getting my
->       domain name to point to my IP address requires messing around with=
 Bind.
->       >From my brief encounter with the DNS howto it seems like there=
 are a lot of
->       cryptic config files that have to be messed with.  So before I go=
 and buy
->       "DNS and BIND" I would like to know if my thinking on this matter=
 is correct
->       or not.  Do I have to learn Bind to be able to have my own server?=
 Sorry if
->       nothing I said makes sense, I'm still new to this. thanks.