URGENT: Authoritative external and internal DNS

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 13:55:29 UTC 2002

Craig Sharp wrote:

> As this internal DNS is seen as authoritative for the domain, no mail is =
> working even if I put the mx record in the internal DNS zone for the ISP's =
> mail server.  The webserver works fine.
>
> This is some odd setup at the ISP that requires them to be authoritative =
> for vanity email addresses to work.  What I mean by vanity is:

> Hence the problem.  In order for the mail to work correctly, my internal =
> users must resolve to the ISP DNS.  If I have the zone in my system so =
> that my internal users point to the webserver as previously stated, that =
> makes me authoritative for the zone and the mail does not work even with =
> an MX record.
>
> I need help.

You must be confused, for as long as the servers return the same
MX record, the MTA has no way of knowing which server it came
from. MTA's ask "where do I send this mail", as long as they get
a good answer back that is authoritative, they are happy.

Post the relevant named.conf and zone files for the internal
zone anatrol.com, you can lose records for other hosts for as
long as it has SOA, NS, $TTL, and the records relevant for the
zone itself.