Primary Master DNS Server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 18 22:18:19 UTC 2002

Elmar Hoenig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to set up a primary DNS Master-Server.
>
> How do I register the DNS reverse lookup delegation,
> especially I would like to know when I register a network, will the
> provider need the IP address or the DNS-Name of the Primary DNS???

If you want to setup reverse DNS, you'll have to get a delegation of the
reverse zone (if you have a /24 or larger range) from your provider, or
from the RIR (in your case RIPE) if you're getting the address space
directly from them.

If you have a /26 or smaller range, then you'll have to talk to your
provider about doing something like RFC 2317 if you want to control the
reverse DNS. This is not as simple as a delegation.

> Is it ok, if the address range, which is registered at ripe as
> "inetnum" object
> in their database, is beginning with the ip of a network and ending
> with an ip of another network. These networks are next to each other.
> Or happend there a mistake and each ip network has to be registered
> separately.

I'm not sure about the policies and procedures of RIPE, having never
dealt with them. That's getting a little off-topic for this list
anyway...

> Can I configure on my DNS-Server only a subnetted part of the
> registered addressrange or will I have to configure the whole
> addressrange?

The reverse DNS namespace is delegated on octet boundaries (unless one
considers RFC 2317-style aliases to be "delegations", which strictly
speaking, I don't). If you have a /23 or larger range, you don't need to
have your provider delegate, nor do you need to configure, /24's that
you're not using yet. You can do that later, when you start using
addresses in those ranges. If you have a range smaller than /24, then
you should be able to contain all of the PTR records in a single zone
anyway, and it's between you and your provider when and how they add
individual aliases pointing to your PTR records.

> I also set up a secondary name server which downloads the dns file
> from the primary dns Master-Server. Do I have to configure the IP
> address or the dns-name of the primary name server so that the
> secondary name server knows how to find the primary DNS??

The slave server needs to know the IP address of the master. That's what
you put in the "masters" clause of the slave's zone definition.