dig source port

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Aug 25 21:51:57 UTC 2003

lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae wrote:
> [...]

Any firewall woorth it's salt will save some state, only allowing
_answers_ to the ports that has been asking _questions_.

> for me it is a luxury, and I will not do that to have simple dig command
> working, but exposing all random udp port on my internal recursive
> nameserver.

It seems to me that you will increase your security by learning
to configure them properly.

> Can somebody answer why dig in bind8 has it as a syntax but does not
> really implement it ?

> also I can use +vc, which is less harmful in my case, if I open tcp
> established in our firewall.

> I basically checks root servers responses by dig, from the internal
> recursive nameserver, to have some statistic.

> btw, the source-query address port, has a very valid point for named
> from security point of view, why it is surprising for  dig or nslookup
> to have the same ?

the possibility to specify source ports is a migration help for those
depending on bind-4 behaviour ( which is no excuse ). It does not
increase security at all.

--
Peter Håkanson