HELP! DNS Problem

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Fri Aug 29 14:42:20 UTC 2003

David Meier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the enjoyable task to fix our DNS server for reverse lookups.
> Unfortunately I am a novice to OpenVMS which makes the task a true
> challenge.
>
> We have 32 IP addresses from our ISP and I need to set that zone up
> for reverse DNS lookups. Therefore I have to create a file
> (Unix-style) called: 32/27.214.141.195.in-addr.arpa.db
>
> Since slashes and dots are not allowed in file names I called it:
> 32_27_214_141_195_in-addr_arpa.db
>
> To include the zone in named I need to create a command such as:
>
> $ ucx set conf bind /prime=(domain:32/27.214.141.195.in-addr.arpa)
>
> which leads to the following error:
>
> %CLI-W-NOPAREN, value improperly delimited - supply parenthesis
>  \32\

David, it looks like it does not like the slash in the zone name, since
you have only 32 ips not whole class C you have to follow RFC 2317, as
Barry mentioned to you already and I believe you have read it already
since you setting up such a zone.

you dont have to use slash if vms command complains about it, just use
dash '-' or something acceptable. This zone name, whatever you will name
it, let's say "32-63.27.214.141.195.in-addr.arpa" you will have to
communicate to your ISP to update their master class C zone.

Ladislav